August 13, 2010 @ 12:00 am - August 15, 2010 @ 12:00 am EDT
SETIcon:The Search for Life in the Universe in Science Fact and Science Fiction
August 13 - 15, 2010
Hyatt Regency Hotel, Santa Clara, California
Only $20 per day or $35 for a weekend pass.
Go to http://www.seticon.com for more information and tickets.
Space is limited! Tickets are available on a first-come, first-served basis!
· Noted scientists explaining new developments in everyday language
· Stars of science fiction TV series and movies, plus the advisors who helped with the science
· Panels to air controversial issues and share perspectives
· Special sessions where you can ask questions of your favorite guests in a smaller setting
· A family room with hands-on activities (for kids 12 and older), including the kind of special inflatable star theater the Obama family recently enjoyed during the White House star party
Some of the confirmed guests so far:
· Apollo astronaut Rusty Schweickart, on saving the Earth from asteroid impacts
· Frank Drake, the astronomer who undertook the first project to listen for alien radio messages
· Jill Tarter, the scientist on whom Jodie Foster’s character in Contact is based
· Philip Plait, the “Bad Astronomer”
· Seth Shostak, SETI Scientist and the host of the “Are We Alone” radio program
· Debra Fischer, one of the foremost planet hunters in the world
· Astronomer Andrew Fraknoi on the "Top 10 Tourist Sights in the Solar System"
· Tim Russ, Star Trek actor and amateur astronomer
· Kevin Grazier, scientist on the Cassini Mission and science advisor for Battlestar Galactica
· David Morrison of NASA on “Doomsday 2012”
· Astronomer Alex Filippenko, who helped discover the dark energy that is speeding up the universe
Make contact at SETIcon with other fans of science fact and science fiction in a comfortable setting. Enjoy a wide range of mind-expanding activities, an evening party, lots of time for discussion, plus a banquet where you can rub elbows with the speakers and other enthusiasts.