Technical Illustrator/Graphic Designer
The Technical Illustrator/Graphic Designer will be responsible to create accurate and visually engaging technical illustrations, diagrams, magazine layouts, and products to effectively explain astronomical/scientific processes and concepts. This position will report to Sky & Telescope’s Art Director in all aspects, including:
- Create clear technical illustrations and diagrams depicting astronomical/scientific concepts for inclusion in the magazine and on the website, including layouts for features and columns
- Ability to make technical concepts easily understandable in a visual format
- Create diagrams of globes and celestial maps utilizing an understanding of map projections
- Develop and enforce styles for technical art to adhere to overall magazine design
- Collaborate with the creative team and editors in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment
- Ask clarifying questions of editors and designers to understand key details about the work being created
- Communicate and present design intent/decisions to other illustrators, designers, and editors
- Draft art memos and organize all materials to be sent to freelance illustrators
- Perform production and pre-press checks
- Design and produce products and publications (globes, atlases, posters, etc.) and items for trade shows, events, press releases, etc. (apparel, banners, handouts, etc.)
WHAT YOU’LL BRING
- Bachelor’s degree/related experience in technical illustration, graphic design, fine arts, marketing, or related field
- Minimum of 3 years experience in illustration and graphic design working with a creative team in publishing, or any equivalent combination of education, training, or experience
- Proficient in Adobe Creative Suite, and MS Office, and ability to work on both Mac and PC platforms
- Knowledge of print and digital best practices
- Detail-oriented with the ability to execute responsibilities with minimal supervision and work in a fast-paced environment with tight deadlines
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work as part of a team in a collaborative environment
- Interest in science and/or astronomy is a plus
The position is 35 hours per week.
WHY YOU’LL LOVE WORKING HERE
The American Astronomical Society offers a competitive salary plus an exceptional benefits package, including ten percent of salary added to a company pension after one year of service, generous sick and vacation time, 14 paid holidays, comprehensive medical with a choice of three plans, dental, vision, life insurance, short-term disability and long-term disability, parking and commuter benefits, tuition reimbursement, and professional development opportunities.
Their goal is to be a diverse workforce that is representative of our communities. We strongly encourage women, people of color, LGBTQ+ individuals, people with disabilities, members of ethnic minorities, foreign-born residents, people of all ages, and veterans to apply. We are committed to building a team that is inclusive of a variety of backgrounds and perspectives.
We will not be offering a summer internship in 2022, so that the S&T staff can devote energy to other projects during that time period. We plan to restart the internship program in 2023.